Man dies of 'brain-eating amoeba' at surf resort in Texas

Ajustar Comment Impresión

Stabile was sedated after showing symptoms - brain swelling and a fever - consistent with bacterial meningitis but didn't respond to treatment.

Doctors determined he had been infected by Naegleria fowleri - commonly known as the "brain-eating amoeba" - which has a fatality rate of 97 percent.

He died five days later and tested positive for Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, his family said. An obituary in The Press of Atlantic City describes Stabile as an avid outdoorsman who loved fishing, surfing and snowboarding. He was laid to rest last Thursday.

When his mother went to check on him in the early afternoon of Monday, Stabile could not get out of bed and could not speak coherently and he was rushed to hospital.

'We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'.

Asesinan en San Miguel de Allende al esposo de Sharis Cid
La actriz y otros amigos habían estado presentes, momentos antes, acompañando al empresario a la inauguración. Cuando subía a su automóvil se acercó una persona, quien le disparó en varias ocasiones.

Kelly Craine, Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson said, "The CDC collected water samples and are now investigating to find the source". "We hope to have results by the end of the week".

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", Parsons told CBS.

Naegleria fowleri can be treated with a new drug called miltefosine but in Stabile's case, it was too late.

As of Monday, the GoFundMe page created for the foundation had raised more than $22,000.

El dólar cerró arriba de los $42
Si el valor cruza el límite superior, el Central intervendrá con la venta de 150 millones de dólares diarios. Y asimismo, las reservas del Banco Central bajaron USD 18 millones este jueves hasta los $49.551 millones.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri is often found in warm freshwater. It can also be found in in soil.

PAM is nearly always fatal.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, with just 34 reported between 2008 and 2017. Symptoms of the disease typically begin one to nine days after the amoeba has entered the body, with people dying one to 18 days after symptoms begin. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said.

The infection is extremely rare, but very deadly. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

AMLO en Tlatelolco: nunca usaré al Ejército para reprimir
El dos de octubre de 1968, el ejército abrió fuego de forma indiscriminada contra una concentración de estudiantes que pedían más libertades.

Comentarios